Global Geopolitical Risk Outlook H1 2023 Report: ESG & Corporate Responsibility Spotlight
Morning Consult’s Global Geopolitical Risk Outlook Report provides a comprehensive, data-driven assessment of public attitudes toward key issues at the intersection of politics and economics across 18 of the world’s largest markets. This companion spotlight, focused on ESG and corporate responsibility, provides global insight into public views on corporate environmental stewardship and national emissions reductions efforts, as well as support for various kinds of diversity in corporate management.
- Environmental Stewardship: Across the G-20, an overwhelming majority of consumers support corporate efforts to manage their impact on the environment
- Emissions Reduction Efforts: Public support for national emissions and pollution reduction efforts largely trended sideways over 2022, with nearly 80% of consumers in favor globally
- Environmental Protection vs. Growth: The risk of a global recession has not substantially dented average public support for environmental protection efforts, even if slower growth is in store
- Racial Equity: On average, consumers support greater racial diversity in corporate management to better reflect the communities that companies serve, with average shares up slightly over H2 2022
- Gender Equity: Globally, the average consumer also supports greater gender diversity in corporate management, up 2 percentage points over H2 2022
This report relies on data collected through Morning Consult’s proprietary survey research capabilities. Data comes from monthly surveys conducted among representative samples of roughly 1,000 adults per country, with unweighted margins of error of +/-3 percentage points. Our January 2022 survey in Turkey was conducted among 3,111 respondents, with a margin of error of +/-2 percentage points. All interviews are conducted online. Surveys field during the second half of the indicated month.
About the authors
Jason I. McMann leads geopolitical risk analysis at Morning Consult. He leverages the company’s high-frequency survey data to advise clients on how to integrate geopolitical risk into their decision-making. Jason previously served as head of analytics at GeoQuant (now part of Fitch Solutions). He holds a Ph.D. from Princeton University’s Politics Department. Follow him on Twitter @jimcmann. Interested in connecting with Jason to discuss his analysis or for a media engagement or speaking opportunity? Email [email protected].
Sonnet Frisbie leads Morning Consult’s geopolitical risk offering for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Prior to joining Morning Consult, Sonnet spent over a decade at the U.S. State Department specializing in issues at the intersection of economics, commerce and political risk in Iraq, Central Europe and sub-Saharan Africa. She holds an MPP from the University of Chicago.
Scott Moskowitz is senior analyst for the Asia-Pacific region at Morning Consult, where he leads geopolitical analysis of China and broader regional issues. Scott holds a Ph.D. in sociology from Princeton University and has years of experience working in and conducting Mandarin-language research on China, with an emphasis on the politics of economic development and consumerism. Follow him on Twitter @ScottyMoskowitz. Interested in connecting with Scott to discuss his analysis or for a media engagement or speaking opportunity? Email [email protected].